Here’s the recipes mentioned in the posts!
Dear Fiancé’s Italian Grandmother’s Bread:
(In a nutshell):
- 1 pkg. dry yeast combined with 1/4 cup warm water
- In separate bowl: 1.75 cups warm water and 1.5 tsp salt
- Blend in 3 cups flour
- Add softened yeast, stirring into flour-water mixture
- Add about 0.75 cups flour and beat until very smooth.
- Add more flour until you have a soft dough; turn dough onto lightly floured surface
- Knead, place in big bowl, cover, and allow to rest ~2 hours in a warm place
- Shape into loaf, place in greased loaf pan
- Bake at 425° for 10 min, then reduce to 350° and bake for 1 hour or until golden brown (yum!)
- PREP: Wash & Trim (stems and pointy tips; also peel off bottom leaves)
- Blanch: Fill large pot with salted water enough to cover artichokes, Boil until leaves open enough to allow addition of filling. Center leaves will not open, can be pushed open with a fork.
- Cool: Immediately after blanching, dip into cold water with tongs.
- FILL: Use about 1/2 cup of the following mixture for each artichoke (Good for 2-3 large artichokes)
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- black pepper, 1.5 tbsp garlic powder, basil, parsely, pinch of salt
- **You could probably insert any other shredded chicken or crab meat for more flavor diversity**
- Open leaves, row by row, and spread filling on inside of each leaf as well as the center.
- COOK: In large covered pot, standing upright with 1 cup water and ~1tbsp olive oil x 45 minutes, until tender
- Make sure the water does not evaporate – add more as needed
- EAT!: Pull leaves off, one by one, and scrape top teeth against the side of the leaf upon which the filling is spread. Or use a fork. Whatever. 🙂
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing loaf pan
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 3 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 15 oz can lentils, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup mixed nuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3-4 tbsp chopped (fresh) mixed herbs
- salt & pepper
- chives & sprigs of fresh flat leaf parsley to garnish
- Heat oil in large pan; add onion, leek, celery, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook for 10 min until soft. Do not brown.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in lentils, mixed nuts, flour, cheese, egg, and herbs. Season with salt & pepper
- Spoon into greased, baking parchment (or foil) – lined loaf pan, pressing into corners. Level surface with a fork, cover with foil
- Place loaf pan in deep-sided baking tray and add enough near-boiling water to come over half-way point of loaf pan.
- Cook slowly (@~350-375 degrees)- the temperature in the book was not specified – for 1-2 hours, until firm to touch.
- Cool in pan ~15 min, then turn onto serving dish, or refrigerate. Can be served hot or cold. Goes great with tangy marinara sauce.